We all have goals, whether we know it or not. We have goals to change jobs or maintain the current one. We have goals to travel, to buy things that we need or get high grades in school. The difference, however, is that top achievers are purposeful and focused on their goals while the rest are not. Studies have shown that setting clearly defined goals increases happiness in one’s life. Here are steps to set and achieve your goals:
- Look at it. Write down every goal, whether big or small and hang it in a place where you can constantly see it. This will help you visualize your goals as well as it creates a commitment on your part.
- Set a date. Set a timeline for when each goal needs to be accomplished.
- Break it up. Many people abandon their goals because they’re just too big. Break each goal to small manageable steps that will allow you to reach your goal. The 2 questions that should be asked during this step are “How will I achieve my goal?” and “What do I need to accomplish it?”.
- Reward system. Reward yourself every time you reach a goal. Yes, that includes small goals. It will give you motivation to continue working hard. Don’t be discouraged by achieving small goals because they will eventually add up to big ones thus, it is equally important!
- Set up your environment. Surround yourself with the right people that align with your goals. This will grantee that you never lose sight of what you need to achieve.
- Periodically evaluate your goals. Take time to review your goals and evaluate your progress. This ensures that you are heading in the right direction; adjust the steps taken to reach your goals and so on. Remember to take your failures as lessons while planning your goals.
Finally, don’t forget to enjoy the process of achieving your goals. As humans, we often get so caught up with the end result that we fail to remember that the prize is in the process itself.
Happy Saturday! xoxo